Courtney and Carter Reum first tasted açaí berries while on a surfing vacation in Brazil five years ago. After this delicious epiphany in the South American rainforest, their lives were never the same.
They put aside their careers in investment banking to create VeeV, a sweet, 60-proof spirit made from the Brazilian superfruit, acerola cherry, and prickly pear.
This all-natural drink packs 57 percent more antioxidants than the pomegranate and the blueberry combined, and contains thirty times more anthocyanins than a glass of red wine. Plus, the acerola cherry is chockfull of vitamin C.
The Reums add a green twist to this intoxicating tale – they’ve infused sustainable principles in the development of VeeV from berry to bottle.
Here’s how VeeV is one of the most eco-friendly drinks in town:
- VeeV is the first spirits company to become carbon neutral certified. They’ve accomplished this by using renewable wind energy and a 4-column distillation process using 200 percent less energy than a traditional pot still.
- VeeV’s ingredients are local – within 500 feet of the distillery – to decrease the carbon footprint associated with shipping fruit over long distances.
- VeeV is a part of “1% for the Planet,” an organization requiring members to donate a minimum of one percent of their profits towards environmental causes around the globe.
- VeeV bottles are made of partially- recycled glass, printed with soy ink, and capped with a synthetic cork.
- For every bottle sold, VeeV donates $1 to preserving the açaí berry’s home: the Brazilian rainforest.
“There are not many steps in the VeeV process that have not been given serious, green-conscious attention,” says VeeV spokesperson Katarina Balalas. “What we have now is a highly efficient, eco- friendly business model that leaves competitors jealous and customers satisfied.”
Be on the lookout for more earth-friendly drinks this September when VeeV launches VeeV VitaFrute™ – the first line of organic, all-natural “superfruit cocktails,” in three delicious flavors: Margarita, Organic Lemonade, and Organic Cosmopolitan.
Açaí Mojito (The Eco-Mojito)
2 oz VeeV Açaí Spirit
4 lime wedges
¾ oz Nature’s Agave Clear™
2 sprigs of mint
6-10 blueberries (optional) Club soda
Tear the mint leaves to release their essential oils. Drop the pieces into a cocktail shaker. Add remaining ingredients and shake well with ice. Strain into ice-filled glass. Top with club soda, stir, and garnish as desired.
1 oz VeeV Açaí Spirit
1 oz white tequila
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz simple syrup or agave nectar
½ oz pomegranate juice (optional)
Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously, and strain into an ice-filled glass. Garnish with lime.
Written by Alex Cho / Photos by Matt Perko. This article appeared in Vol. 1 (Fall) of LoaLiving Magazine.